Skin Supplier List

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Skin Supplier List

Postby Jose Marquez » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 pm

Hey everyone, i recently came across an awesome deal on a set of Giovanni Galaxy's, they're great drums but I recall reading on here that the stock skin they come with are caca :mrgreen:

I have noticed a slight ring to them as some people mentioned. Is there a place to purchase high quality pre-fitted skins for these drums? I have no experience with replacing skins and I'm not about to learn by trial and error. Any help is appreciated, thanks! :D
Jose Marquez

Postby pdxisbest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 am

If the drums are newish I'd play them for a while and break in the heads. Most new heads have a bit of ring to them that fades after a few weeks of play. If that doesn't work and you need to mount your own heads, there is a good pictorial "how-to" on the Volcano Percussion website.
pdxisbest

Postby msb501clave » Sun May 23, 2010 9:00 pm

L&H Percussion has (2) 22" rounds that we do not want to go to waste as they have some "burs" in the center of the round. These would be considered 2nds by our standards but rather than let them go in the trash we thought we could offer them for a LOW LOW PRICE here. would will sell for $32 shipping included. email us for details and photos if you are interested. These hides will be fine to play after some light sanding however visually there would be a flaw.

We are always working to maintain quality however sometimes the animals do not cooperate. We are always 100% honest with our costumers about the product being purchased and will stand be hind them. These rounds however are final sale as they are a discounted second tier item.
--

Michael
L&H Percussion
(908) 419-7364
www.landhpercussion.com
msb501clave

Postby roberthelpus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:04 am

I have American bison/buffalo on my two Gon Bops. 80s segundo and quinto, fiberglassed, comfort stylee rims with funky hardware. I think that they sound freaking great and really brought the drums to life. A friend of mine had a whole skin when we were talking about finishing his Valjes. We had put cow on the quinto and segundo and needed to do the tumba and my two drums. I was all against the buffalo until he took it down from the rafters. It was so tough that we had to soak it to make it manageable enough to even cut the rounds. We did all three of those drums in one night and were beat after we were done. Fortunately we had restorative beverages and so could go on to play the other drums that were about.

Long story short; I would give it a try.
roberthelpus

Postby Mike » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:08 am

I would like to add an amazing skin supplier: BANUX, a leather company
located in the south of Germany, which might be interesting
for European congueros:
http://www.banux.de/felle-pergamente/ri ... 11um893ii1
You can choose the exact thickness, and the skins are of incredible
quality, some of the most homogenous skins I have ever seen.
I checked a bongo skin and also skinned my 9" Patato Requinto
with a cow skin from company.
And it is the only source of white polymer skins I have come across so far.
Highly recommended, the prices are also fair, and they have a very
good customer service too. There is an expert for calf, cow and goat drum skins,
and he supplies German drum manufacturers with skins.
The company has done its job for 30 years now! I wonder why I did not find
this supplier earlier - would have saved me some bucks...

EDIT: No, I am not a sales rep :wink:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Dicemanb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 am

Mike,

Do they do mules and what is a polymer skin?

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:58 am

Dicemanb wrote:Mike,
Do they do mules and what is a polymer skin?
Dice

Hi Diceman,
they do not do mules at Banux, only cow, calf and goat skins.

Polymer is some chemical stuff they put on the skin to make the skin
even more homogeneous I guess.
It seems to be a tanning specialty. Here is what I could find at wikipedia:
In the following report the results are published of investigations concemed with the irreversible deposition of polymers within the fibre structure to level out the structural differences in bull middle-splits and sheepskins without adversely affecting their properties, but even, if possible, improving them. The resins deposited were either fine particle fully polymerized acrylate binders or acrylate monomers, which were subsequently polymerized in tle leather. The application of these products was partly on wet leather and partly on crusted stock. The levels of application amounted to 5% solids of the polymerized products, or in the case of the monomers 25-40% based on the dry weight of the leather. The treated leathers all showed a tight surface, a shorter denser nap, and a finer smoother grain on sheepskins. A negative influence on their dyeing behaviour could not be established. With regard to the physical properties an improvement in fastness properties was achieved. The water vapour absorption and the water vapour permeability were, as expected, reduced by a certain extent, which in turn considerably influenced the hygienic wearing properties..

As a result of this polymere processing, the skin looks whiteish and
has got a layer on the underside.
I enclose a photo of a small piece of skin I got and could luckily wedge
onto a "children´s bongo" (i.e. a sewage pipe :) ).
Polymer Pipe drum ;-).JPG

The sound is amazing, rich and fat, but an important thing is that the polymer layer somewhat gets thicker
AFTER mounting, so the1.2mm skin smple went to 2.5mm thickness after drying.
For Taiko drums this seems to be appropiate, for Gon Bops lovers of thick skins too maybe.

BTW I ordered also a regular cow skin for my Raúl macho which is of the same outstanding
quality as L&H skins. Take a look yourself:
Raúl bongó w Banux cow skin.JPG
Closeup Raúlmacho w Banux cow skin.JPG

Now the Raúl macho rules even more than with the goat skin I had had on it which wore out pretty quickly after 1 year of playing.

ANd my 9" Patato requinto really sings with the natural cowskin by Banux that I mounted.

Hope this could shed some light on these company´s products.
Last edited by Mike on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Two more polymer pics
white polymer.JPG

white polymer from below.JPG
NB: I apologize for the poor craftmanship of this 6" drum,
it was rather a fun experiment with the wood pegs. Maybe this construction
will not last long.
Nevertheless my kids´hands produce real tones on the "drum".
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Madlatin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:09 am

I bought a set of older CP's and they all had the original skins (water baffalo) on them. I could tune them up to sound good except for the 10" drum sounded like a toy. I left it sit in the corner most of the time because it sounded terrible. I did some looking around for new skins. I called Michael at L&H Percussion and told him what I had and what sound I wanted out of the drum.
Ended up buying two skins (steer) for the 10" and 11" drums. They both sound great!! the 10" drum is now my favorite to play. Also appreciate being able to call Michael when I had some questions about mounting the skins (even kinda late at night). I will be buying a couple more soon and recommend L&H. Good doing business with you Michael.

Thanks, Madlatin
Prayer Group-KalungaWedding-CPs 149.jpg
10,11,11.75 CP's - 12.50Matador w/LP heart plates all 1996
Prayer Group-KalungaWedding-CPs 153.jpg
10" and 11" reskinned w/steer
"Some things become more valuable when they are shared"
Madlatin

Postby Mike » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:17 am

Hey, congrats, those CPs look great now.
I can only understand too well the miracle L&H skins
did on your congas.
Here is a picture of my pimped CP 10" quinto (a drum
I have had since 1988 if I remember). I spiced up the
hardware, and the mule by L&H is really awesome, this
one sings, even though it is a tiny drum (about 27.5" tall)!
BTW the wood seems to have shrunk so that the actual measurement
is really 9.75".
Attachments
9.75 CP.JPG
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Madlatin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks Mike. I was gonna go with mule then changed my mind. Do you remember how thick the mule skin was when you bought it? I have two other 10" and 11" CP's that I was considering mule skin for. I'd be able to compare the steer and mule to one another on the same drums. Your quinto is cool. I like the boldness.

Madlatin
Madlatin

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:29 am

Wow madlatin now that is a sweet looking set of CP's. Congratulations. I own a set myself 10" & 11" which I restored about 4 months ago they sound very nice. I had one of my student buy a set just today, he got an amazing deal on two of them. Those skins sure look nice, mine too have original skins and were in need of conditioning so I conditioned them with good old Manteca de Corojo, man what a difference, not only do they sound better but they also look better. It's interesting to see that the hardware on the CP's is almost the same as the Matadors, with the exception of the logo, but then again the CP hardware from before was very different than todays CP hardware wich in my own opinion is trash.
Here are some pictures of my CP project.
Attachments
DSC00304.JPG
DSC04778.JPG
DSC04795.JPG
KING CONGA

Postby Mike » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Madlatin wrote:Thanks Mike. I was gonna go with mule then changed my mind. Do you remember how thick the mule skin was when you bought it?

Not too thick, just right with 2mm, very even skins throughout .
And it has shrunk to that thickness after drying also. Long live L&H! :D
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Madlatin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 pm

King Conga, it looks like that project paid off. The drums are sharp. Very worth the time put into them.
Madlatin

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:38 pm

That would be a helpful item , Thanks for doing this. BTW....Taiko, do you have the contact for the supplier of the large tacks / nails used for Asian drums. You know, the ones w/ the tack heads about the size of a larger coin, like used in temple drums & Taiko drums ?
Ernesto Pediangco

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories