Any links to congas holding it down for acoustic guitars?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Any links to congas holding it down for acoustic guitars?

Postby Herbal » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 am

This is how I pay my bills and would love to see others doing their thing in the same genre. I know it isn't traditional, but I would starve and lose my house if I was a purist. I am interested in hearing how people do rock, blues, funk, country, any type of mainstream-ish grooves where there percussionist is holding the groove down. I make it work, really, but I would like to see how others do it, who do it properly. Every video I find is pretty much traditional grooves.

Is there a term for this style of playing I could use to help my search and maybe learn some new stuff? Things are going great for me, but I don't want to rest on my merits. I am working, a lot, but I have plenty of time to get better and more refined.

Thanks,
Tony
Herbal

Re: Any links to congas holding it down for acoustic guitars?

Postby pavloconga » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi Herbal,
Here is a link to my myspace page with a number of different approaches

- funk on 'Domino Effect'
- a vocal and percussion based track with a vocalist from the Caribbean
- rumba guaguanco
- a song with musicians from Iran using guitars and voice.

p.s. just wanted to add, I'm not playing strictly traditional grooves (apart from the guaguanco in the Cuba recording). I usually play something very much in response to the song itself which may have sections where I play a traditional rhythm but then I'll often depart from that.

http://www.myspace.com/pavlosoteriou

ciao
pavlo
Last edited by pavloconga on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pavloconga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:12 am

When I've worked with acoustic guitarists, some of them have asked for me to mark their rhtyhm, that is follow along on the percussion with the pattern of their strumming, versus playing a regular pattern. When I play a regular pattern I try to use one that accents the rhythm of the guitarist or song. Lastly, I prefer bongos to congas when accompanying acoustic guitars.
bongosnotbombs

Postby roberthelpus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:10 pm

I've been doing this with bongos and toys for a while. It started out informally (and is still pretty relaxed) so I went with the bongos and a tool bag full of toys because it was a light load and easy. Playing a lot of Roots Americana type stuff and everything form Country to Classic Rock, even a bit of Jazz, Everything really. I figure that it's music that traditionally has a kit drummer and often try to emulate that.

It's taken a while to realize that it's best to keep it simple and focus on feel for most songs. If doing a simple boom chick boom chick , or low high low high, makes the song go then I do that. Focusing on good tones and placement. For a change of pace and if it fits the songs I will do the whole song with just a tambourine, or just a shaker or two.

Making it simple has paid off. I see more smiling faces in the audience now than those what the hell is he doing type looks.
roberthelpus

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Here i am playing with a guitarist in a trio setting... i have a few of these this is the first one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfT6eYqwG20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PEzNn-f0T4 this one Im using bongos...
JohnnyConga

Postby No.2-1820 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:38 am

enjoyed both of those Johnny, nice one. Hadn't heard you on bongo before. I'm with BNB on that one, bongo and acoustic guitar are a better match for my ears.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby troels » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:06 am

Interesting thread this one! Keep those examples coming!

Excellent work on both, Johnny! :)

T.
troels

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 am

in regards to congas accompaniment to guitars : It does not mean that a particular rhythm or groove from any Latin rhythm be used. It must be a matter of providing the fabric of rhythm that carrys the measuring and tempo and dynamics that are supportive & complimentary to the guitars rhythm structure ! Music fundamentals & good musicianmanship is needed, not an arsenal of Conga grooves. You have to be some what ear trained in how to add congas to a rhythm section first before you have a grip on what to provide as a substitute to drums or instruments that are not in the grouping. I would think as a Rhythm player first, as a Bass player second. Provide basic time keeping and respond to chord changes like a bass player would by using the 2 congas like a 2 toned bass. Any interplay or texture changes would be as a responce to where the guitar is going. Musical experience will help you anticipate the flow of the melodic & chord progressions and the structural form. Every student of Jazz music learns the basic forms and formulas by ear ! I could sit in with any jazz group or song oriented music group and play along as if I had been in rehearsals. Unless the rhythms and music construction were very detailed whith things that are difficult to feel naturaly, it should be a natural flow of accompaniment. The Peruvian Guitarist for example are accompanied by the use of the Peruvian Cajon more than congas, because it is more fundamental & flexible as well as being very natural in tone since it is a wood box and so is an accoustic guitar body. A cajon has a full range of tone & texture which is like a drum sets multiple drums and a snare for the dry sound and a bass tone w/ several tones inbetween ! The cajon has all this ! I would break out a cajon for playing w/ a solo guitar or a guitar oriented band ( unless its a Loud assed Rock band etc ) Its all a matter of application of rhythm groove and a supportive role of the drummer. Theres nothing as lame as a conga player playing a straight 8 th note Mambo or Cha Cha rhythm over a Jazz Swing feel ! A drummer must be a musician as well, apply his instrument to all concievable music styles. Even as a Latin drummer / percussionist, I play solid swing, salsa, blues, shuffle, rock, rhythm & blues ( soul music ), disco, calypso, reggae, Cuban / Puerto Rican, Brazilian, Peruvian Criolla & Afro Peruvian and any thing I am introduced to that I have a passion for. I am a percussionist who happens to call Congas & Bongos & Cajons & Timbales....his toys of choice . All drummers need to broaden thier musical horizons and apply themselves in different music than what is easily available from pop culture media. This is what prepares you to accompany a solo guitar with authority & confidence and in good taste.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Herbal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks guys!

I just got a new video camera and we have a soundman coming to record our live demo for summer bookings this friday. I will get audio and video clips up within the next couple of weeks to let yas hear what I am doing.

Thanks again,
T
Herbal

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:51 am

Try this one, Paco De Lucia, and anyone recognize the bongocero?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOeNiQ8gpoI
bongosnotbombs

Postby rob280783 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Love this Ray La Montagne track (Forever My Friend) and it has a really nice rolling conga groove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9GxrtR890
rob280783

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises