What to do with a thin line crack?

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

What to do with a thin line crack?

Postby DJBakan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:30 am

Hello,

I just found out that my LP Conga Classic has a very thin crack, it does not go all the way up and does not go to the inside of the drum. It is a superficial crack that goes between the holes. Is there any way I can stop it or fix it right there or it will need major repair?
Thanks

DJBakan

crack01.jpg
Crack is the thin dark line
Attachments
crack03.jpg
Dark line that goes between the holes.
crack05.jpg
DJBakan

Re: What to do with a thin line crack?

Postby Anonimo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:11 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby DJBakan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 pm

leedy2 wrote:
DJBakan wrote:
Alwin I posted something to this affect check throughout forum.

Hello Cuco,

Yes I think I saw something like that some time ago, but I can not find it. There are so many "crack" "repair" posts, I just don't know which one is it.
We should have a part only for Drum Repair and Makeovers.

I am going to keep looking for it if you find it first that will be cool ;-) thanks.

DJBakan
DJBakan

Postby Anonimo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:13 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby DJBakan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Hello Cuco,

Thank you very much. It seems I have a few projects for summer. Once I start I will let you know how it goes.

DJBakan
DJBakan

Postby Psych1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:27 am

Lots of different advice on this board. Here is my advice for fixing the hairline type crack described here.

Use Titebond Premium Instant Bond Wood Adhesive - Thin. There are other similar glues but Titebond is the best. Also, Titebond has about 8 different glues in this series - for the hairline cracks only use the THIN not the thicker ones or the gels.

Make a tiny hole in the top and fill the crack. This is a "penetrating" type glue and it will work its way to the bottom of the crack. If there is any place where it goes through you will see bubbles forming on the other side. Clean up any excess immediately - don't get it on your hands.

This glue sets, fills the crack, and the job is done in 3 seconds! No need to wait for a Summer project.
Psych1

Return to Miscellanea