Tapping Clave and Gugaguanco Segundo

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Tapping Clave and Gugaguanco Segundo

Postby KidCuba » Sun May 22, 2011 2:55 pm

When practicing different rhythms, I try my best to tap out clave or sing it while playing.

Unfortunatley, I have never been able to do this with the segundo part of a traditional Habana Gugaguanco.

Once I sing or tap the "bombo" or second note of the clave, I lose it.

Any suggestions on tapping out clave with this rhythm?

Or, what are your thoughts on being able to tap our clave while playing?
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Re: Tapping Clave and Gugaguanco Segundo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon May 23, 2011 7:24 pm

KidCuba,

whenever you have a problem with a particular independence exercise, look upon it as a coordination exercise first. That's my tip. Once you have mastered a number of coordination textures, you will automatically build something near independence.

Write down both parts in a score, so you can visually perceive which sounds or strokes fall together. Sometimes it might help to hear coinciding strokes as one compound sound, as opposed to two individual sounds produced at the same time, and treat it like that.

Work yourself through the score step by step, beat by beat, perhaps in chunks of half a measure length. Once you have practiced each building block separately, glue them together. If there are still problems, grab the passage that flaws and repair it before you put it back in to play it in conjunction with the rest that works.

Always make sure that transitions from one element to the next are functioning, especially from the end back to the repeated start of the pattern.

Practice any pattern in a 3-2 and in a 2-3 clave constellation.

Buén éxito!

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby GuruPimpi » Mon May 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Thomas, you said it good and the same as I'm doing it. I also found out that many times it's really good to see, hear in how it is done... Time ago i got an idea to tap with one hand 1-2 (half notes?)and with other hand triplet.... I was performing serious mind fcuk with my self until friend showed me and i got it at once... Brain is funny thing...

my 2 cents

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby jaooaj » Tue May 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Whats the segundo pattern? Can you spell it out? There are probably a bunch of ways to play it which one are you doing?
jaooaj

Postby KidCuba » Wed May 25, 2011 1:41 am

Thanks to all who responded.

Writing down the clave and segundo pattern have helped a bit, I just got to keep working at it.

The segundo pattern I am working on is a Habana pattern taught by Jesus Diaz on Conga Master Class.
KidCuba

Postby bongo » Wed May 25, 2011 3:22 am

First know where the clave falls in the hand part, then add the clave beats one at a time. I like picking the hardest one first and play the hand rythm strongly but slowly, tapping with the foot just that one beat of the clave until it is natural, then add another and another one at a time until you got the whole thing. By tapping I suppose you mean using your foot on a pedal with bell or woodblock?
bongo

Postby KidCuba » Wed May 25, 2011 4:45 am

I'm just tapping my foot on the floor, or on the bottom of the drum, or saying it out loud (i.e. "pa - pa - pa pa..")

All of your suggestions are appreciated.
KidCuba

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises