lp conga skyndeep heads ringing

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

lp conga skyndeep heads ringing

Postby eskrimaaddiction » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:10 pm

So I always like to try different heads so I got some of those skyndeep remo heads. Honestly not really a big fan but it is nice to get some extra volume out of them, when I practice them integrated with a drum kit. I've got some 90's lp classics and I really notice the ringing out of the conga when playing in this basement. The quinto sounds good, but the ringing in the conga is so pronounced that I gotta fix it.

Just looking for some tips to calm the ringing (besides buying some of matt's congas :mrgreen: )

thanks guys
eskrimaaddiction

Re: lp conga skyndeep heads ringing

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:25 pm

I have a side comment regarding the Skyndeep line. The aluminum channel around the head seperates from the REMO synthetic head in many cases. (Especially with the Quinto and Congas)

I have experienced this and several other congueros that I know have had the same issue with these heads.

Ringing of the heads can be controlled by Duct tape or weather stripping stuck on the head creating a muffling ring.

I hope this works out for you and your heads hold up.
Jerry Bembe

Postby eskrimaaddiction » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:46 am

I'll give this a try but if it anything like putting duct tape on cymbals it usually kills the overall tone of the cymbal. I'll try really small pieces and just see what I can do.

I went on lp site and looked up the specific style of heads that they recommend for specific sizes and followed there recommendations. I really don't get the ringing out of the quinto but it is a different model of the skynskin (I also like to tune it high so maybe that helps to downplay the ring)

I can't imagine trying to use these heads on a fiberglass drum. It would sound like your playing the bell of a cymbal.

I should have gone with nuskyn heads on the congas.

live and learn
eskrimaaddiction

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 am

Unfortunately, the Skyndeep product line is not up to the quality standard that the old Mondo Fiberskyns. I have 2 of these Mondo heads on a 10" and 11" congas that have held up for over 20 years now. Leedy does have a point that uneven tuning can cause this but this is not the case for the examples I described previously.

The method with sponge glued on the interior is generally used for a ringing shell but there is more than one way to do things as well.

Enjoy those drums.
Jerry Bembe

Postby CongaTick » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 am

Search the threads for posts by congalou regarding a ring dampener he devised.
CongaTick

Postby joaozinho » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Hello eskrimaaddiction!
anti ring 018.jpg

This is the most simple and easy way of get out of ring.A piece of tissue,or a t-shirt,some rope,and you got it.My Gio quinto had some nasty ring and whits this was the cure :D

Best regards
joaozinho

Postby eskrimaaddiction » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:52 am

@ leedy stupid question but I've got those comfort II gold rims (i believe) , and thought whose were able to go with those skyndeep (at least according to remo's conga head pdf). I thought traditional rims were not as curved? Enlighten me with some pics if you don't mind, and got the time.

thanks everybody else for the suggestions, I'm going to try different experiments and see what I come up with. I'll probably start with the shirt string trick, because I feel that any thing touching the head will rob me of the true tone. All I know is that I had the original lp heads on there for years and did not have this level of ring at all.

Saw congalou invention seems promising, best of luck with it.

So curious since I've not played tons of congas, do most mass produced wood congas ring, if so do matt's and other's high end ring or is it all about the heads

As always thanks, been learning a bunch recently on this site glad I stumbled in here.
eskrimaaddiction

Postby joaozinho » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Be Careful not to choose a big amount of tissue,a very thick and voluminous tissue will end your tone,the best is a very thinn and not to big piece of tissue.Just try diferents tipes to see what goes best.
joaozinho

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises