Looking for a teacher in NYC!!

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Looking for a teacher in NYC!!

Postby clarencio7 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Buenas,

I live in Brooklyn, NY and I'm having the hardest time finding Conga classes or private teachers. I grew up here and recently moved back, and boy things have changed. There used to be sooo much more culture available, like toques every weekend all over. Anyway I'm excited to join this community, if anyone has any information it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
"it's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

- Confucius
clarencio7

Re: Looking for a teacher in NYC!!

Postby jorge » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:33 pm

What kind of playing do you want to learn? Rumba? Bata? Timba? Salsa? Different teachers for different styles.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:43 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anonimo

Postby clarencio7 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:55 pm

jorge wrote:What kind of playing do you want to learn? Rumba? Bata? Timba? Salsa? Different teachers for different styles.

I'd really like to start with rumba! Then move into some other styles.

- Confucius
clarencio7

Postby clarencio7 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:56 pm

leedy2 wrote:Boys & Girls Harbor, Inc | 1 East 104th Street, New York, NY 10029 in Manhatten
http://harborconservatory.org 212-828-9631
You have here great teachers on seen musicians like George Delgado , Louis Bauzo , Jimmy Delgado ,Johnnny Almendra and a few more. Many of todays great study there like Bobby Allende.
Contact person Ramon Rodriguez or Zola for appointment

Thank you! I will reach out to them.

- Confucius
clarencio7

Postby jorge » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:53 am

OK, Clarencio, I was hoping you would say rumba. You lucked out that this next week, Roman Diaz will start giving group classes in AfroCuban percussion in NYC. I posted the details in another post titled Ibiono Project. Roman is an outstanding percussionist and a great teacher. These classes will include bata, rumba and other AfroCuban folkloric music. Classes will be every Tuesday at 6 pm in East Harlem, at the Harbor Conservatory for the Performing Arts.
In addition to classes, to learn rumba you need to go to rumbas regularly. There are several ongoing rumbas around the NYC/NJ area, including an open rumba in Central Park on Sundays from about 5 to 10 pm and a rumba performance with great drummers, singers and dancers at Esquina Habanera in Union City, NJ every Saturday night from 10 to 1. PM me for details.
Jorge
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Anonimo

Postby jorge » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:52 pm

It is valid to ask someone what kind of music they like and what they want to learn. Even if someone does not play much yet, they may know very well what kind of music they want to learn to play. Give them credit for that, I don't think I am "throwing" anyone "to the wolves".

Roman's class will be for drummers at all levels, it is NOT only for advanced students, although it will certainly be of interest to even the most advanced students. Roman is a very talented teacher and knows how to teach a class to different levels of the students. There will probably be several experienced women bataleras in the class, as well as less and more experienced bata and rumba drummers and beginners.

This class is completely separate from the classes at the Harbor that you are recommending. For this program, the Ibiono Project, the Harbor will not assign a teacher as you are saying, Roman Diaz and Yesenia Selier are the teachers. People should contact Yesenia Selier directly at oriselier@gmail.com or by phone at 201 952-5508.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:05 am

Anonimo

Postby premel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:08 am

jhon amira .. has a lot of contacts.. let me try to et his phone for you ... :wink:
Gilles Premel-katzin
premelp@yahoo.fr
http://www.myspace.com/gillespremel
00/33/664410254
premel

Postby premel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 am

i can send you some stuff to work on if you want ... what is your level ???
Gilles Premel-katzin
premelp@yahoo.fr
http://www.myspace.com/gillespremel
00/33/664410254
premel

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!