Is there a degree in Carabean studys, such as there is degre

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Is there a degree in Carabean studys, such as there is degre

Postby Mr. Conga » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:39 am

iN the U.S. collage level is there Latino, ethnic studies gear toward a degree, a masters, such as there is for African American studies, and African psycology, and history?

aanf if yes, what collages, or what names of classes to look for?
Mr. Conga

Re: Is there a degree in Carabean studys, such as there is degre

Postby jorge » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:26 am

I know someone who did her PhD dissertation at NYU on the Central Park rumba, and another current student doing a Masters' thesis on rumba at NYU. Not sure which department, but check out NYU.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:54 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:06 pm

There IS a degree and it's in Ethno-musicology.....the study of other cultures and their music....which could mean a trip to Cuba Africa or the Caribbean as part of those studies...for your degree...JC
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:16 pm

SORRY to disagree Leedy but I know quite a few Ethno-musicologists that play an instrument as well...yes some degrees are worthless but not necessarily this one either...I didnt say it was a 'music degree' and as WE know there is NO degree in Afro-Cuban/Caribbean Drumming and Music or I would have one ...you have to go to Cuba to get one...for at least a year...to receive a Certificate of Studies in Afro-Cuban drumming and Music..a degree in Cuba you would have to attend La Escuela del Artes to get one...
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:49 am

Anonimo

Postby Mr. Conga » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:38 am

THANK YOU guys for the info jorge, Johny, and Cuco. I really apreciate it. I like Johnys idea of studying for a year in Cuba, En La Escuela de Las Artes, although i have seen Cuban rumba documantaries in Cuba, and is a very respectable school, most students get there by recomendations, and with a government full payed scholarship, the musician, or artist must have a very sharp talent to his/her craft.

In other words they dont just take any musician there. I wonder if peole like us from the U.S do the year degree In CUba, would they credited here too, just as you can take your credits from any collage in the U.S to another collage if the classes apply for the degree, if they have something to do with it.

I am asking because i recently spoke to an old friend from high school, that we got in contact trough facebook.
I went to collage for liberal science/ nursing. Liberal science is like an artistic degree.But i didnt finish. For the last couple of years i have found a deep passion in my soul, for our Latin Music, specially percussions, i like anything to do with its history, from instruments and playing, to history, posters, record, movies, etc. Is like i have been studying it without going to school for it, although i did take begginnig music classes in collage...i was aiming toward a music production degree, but also studying the history of music, i wasnt thinking salsa too much those days, i was paying more attention to mainstream music, and gospel music.

Well my friend, got 2 degrees, went to a couple Unevercities is a professional, he study AFRICAN PSYCOLOGY, because he is african american.
I am latino therefore, i wanna focus on my peoples heritage and history.... :D

He went to Univercity in San Francisco, started studying Ifa, and african history. So now he tells me he practices ifa, not only that he study psycology so has a professional study, gear toward his African pride, and heritage, he got initiated to be a ifa priest.

He got his degree studying what interest him. Reading his history, as african, and ifa literature.
He got initiated not trough jus any orisha, all the common, and popularly known, he told me he got initiated to the highest one of all, which most people dont know, Orunmila, to eventually be a top priest, of his religion. Altough he knows some about his religion, he dosnt know a thing about the playing the music, he only knows that the drum is something really deep , and powerfull.

So i thought to my self if i could find a degree in latin heritage and music, that would be perfect , specially caribe historia.
I would have finished a degree if i would have found a good course career as what i have a passion for now, which is latin music, and Rumba.
Mr. Conga

Postby DJBakan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Hello Mr. Conga,

I read your comment and I saw my self writing that. I also had the similar feeling of finding my true passion in Latin Music. Very brief let me tell you that I always loved music (recording and production) and percussion but I never had the opportunity to approach it until when I moved out of the house and now I have two years playing and Studying the music it self. I think the same thing I learned in these two years more than I learned in the few years I spent in college. I have a Associates Degree in Network Technology but to be honest I barely learn anything and I do not even like that. I took many classes (business, engineering, math) and nothing satisfied me. Now I enjoy reading about the history of music, learn the traditional toques of drums from many cultures, etc, you know what I mean.

So back to your original question, I did a research for my self at least in the North East region. Not sure if you can move easily and how much money you have but if I win the lottery I will go to Berklee College of Music for the Degree in "Music Production and Engineering Major" and a Minor in "Performance Studies in Latin Music" That combine my two loves.
http://www.berklee.edu/majors/mpe.html
http://www.berklee.edu/minors/performan ... music.html

Also you have the University of Delaware a Percussion Ensemble with Emphasis in Latin Percussion. I contacted them last year and they told me there is not enough funding for a Bachelors in Latin Percussion Performance or even a Minor. Pretty much they told me I was the only one interested in that so is not cost efficient for them.
http://music.udel.edu/percussion/index.php

You can go to Puerto Rico to the Conservatorio de Music de Puerto Rico and get a "Bachillerato en Música en Ejecución de Jazz y Música Caribeña"
http://www.cmpr.edu/programas/jazz.html
There is another one in PR that has Caribbean Percussion Degree but I do not remember the name right now.

Probably there are a few more that teach drumming that I do not know about maybe others can help you. But if you only want a Caribbean Studies Degree without the drumming part there are many many more like in NYU http://clacs.as.nyu.edu/page/home but I am sure there are many more that has something like that but as other mention here in the post those kind of degree are not really worth that much, the most you can do is Music history teacher in a High School not even University you will need a Masters or PhD to teach music in University. Unless you have 30+ years of experience under your belt. The best thing to do at this era is combine degrees, you will have more chances to get a job in what you want.

I hope it helps, peace...

DJBakan
DJBakan

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:30 pm

If you were to attend a school of Arts in Cuba as a foreigner you would have to pay to go...I hear it could cost as much as $40,ooo dollars to attend an Arts school or university...unless of course you live there on a permanent basis..its something to look into ...yes you are 'chosen' by the government to attend these schools...and you will get a degree from that Art school...but most of those schools cater to children from 8 years old on up....u might want to try an contact the University of Havana and see what they offer up as far as a degree in Afro-Cuban drumming and music..or an all round music degree...Good job DJBakan.....by the way I am the only Latin Percussion teacher on staff at a 2 year Community College here in Washington..I have NO degree to speak of just 47 years of experience..there is no degree for what I know...yet.....
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Micheal Spiro is teaching at Univbersity of Indiana. Check his credentials, sounds like he has the kind of curriculum you are looking for,

http://info.music.indiana.edu/sb/page/normal/1505.html
bongosnotbombs

Postby jorge » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:05 pm

We could help you more if you give us a little more detail on what kind of career do you want, what do you want to do most of the day most days to get paid and pay your rent? Here are some examples of different types of careers in music, you can focus on Caribbean, Cuban, Afrocuban, or Latin music in any of them.

Playing, composing music as a member of a musical group or solo or freelance musician
Teaching how to play music
Teaching kids about music/music history at the elementary, junior high or high school level
Teaching musicians or general students about music/music history at the university undergrad level
Doing research on music, writing and teaching about music/music history at the graduate level
Writing about Cuban/Latin music in popular press (music journalism, music critic)
Playing/singing for religious ceremonies (bata, guiro, cajon, palo, bembe, etc)
Video/audio recording music, recording engineer, mixing engineer, mastering engineer, band engineer (sound guy)
Producing music (ie, spend much of your time arranging for FINANCING for recording and performances)
Working with a Caribbean folkloric group either performing (drums, song, dance) or doing the business parts

Just some of the possibilities. Tell us more aboutwhat your interests are and there will be people here who have done that and can give you more specific advice.
jorge

Postby vxla » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Certainly an ethnomusic degree is not worthless. It gives one the ability to teach at a college level or do field research; at this point in the game, is going to school for strictly performance really a good idea anyway? The market is saturated with excellent players and there are so few jobs that it would be best for everyone to have a backup plan.
vxla

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:57 pm

No it is not worthless ..Here in Seattle we have a very good musician(that plays steel pans)who has a degree in Ethno musicology and teaches at the University of Washington and his name is Shannon Dudley. So YES GET A BACK UP PLAN ..THE MUSIC business is NOT like it used to be and your right there are so many drummers today the whole scenario is over saturated now..going to school strictly for performance is not the way to go....where I teach at Shoreline they are giving a Performance certificate along with your 2 year music degree...the only school here doing this...
JohnnyConga

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!