Start playing congas

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Start playing congas

Postby drew99 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am

I'm very keen to Afro-Cuban rhythms and would like to start playing the congas, but I would need a lot of information about These instruments, because I'm inexperienced.
What types of congas are available and what types of music they can play? Is it better to start playing with one or two conga congas? What limits do you have if you play only one? What do you advise me to buy for a beginner like me? Can i learn by books and DVDs, or is not recommended? If you can, what guides do you recommend?
I'm aware I have asked many things, but without these responses I feel very confused.
Thank you in advance for your answers and for your patience.
drew99

Re: Start playing congas

Postby burke » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Welcome Drew99,

I'm going to answer the questions you pose, but also suggest that you take some time exploring the older posts via search - there is a ton of posts all relating to your questions. The main congaplace page has a lot of good info.

Types of congas - really its various sizes [tumba, conga, quinto etc] - this should be easy to find via google/wikipedia.

Types of music: Many, Pop, funk, Latin styles, latin jazz and on and on

One drum and not a cheap aspire type [many many many posts about this!]

If you live in an area where you can find a real teacher with cred [search the teachers forum or ask mentioning where you live] that is best.

Many good books - Tomas Cruz Vol 1 for example
Burke
burke

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Here ya go, start reading.....

search.php
bongosnotbombs

Postby drew99 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Now I only need to know which kind of music you can play with each type of conga(conga, quinto, tumba dora).
Does the book you suggested me teach the basics of congas or it explains how to play Timba?
Thanks again.
drew99

Postby burke » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 pm

No rules - traditions yes

Quinto traditionally used as rumba solo drum. But many use it lots of other places.

various sizes of congas [used in the generic name sense - not the specific drum] used in many combinations in all the genre's listed and more. Traditional pairing is conga/tumba - lots play with two, lots with 3,4,5 more tuned to different intervals.

No rules - learn rudiments on one first

Use search engine - hundreds and hundreds of pages of pages patiently await your perusal - when I joined years ago I just started browsing - hours of fun :D
Burke
burke

Postby burke » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:22 pm

"Does the book you suggested me teach the basics of congas or it explains how to play Timba?"

Forgot to answer

no

vol 3 yes

many, many moons away from playing timba if you are new - forget timba, open, muff, slap [various flavours] bass, palm tip - then trad old school tumbao on one drum
Burke
burke

Postby drew99 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Thank you for your answers, you have been very huseful.
drew99

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:20 pm

HI Drew you can go to my youtube.com channel where my How to play Tumbao video is now over 520,000 hits and counting...I also have over 40 videos of learning and performances(for inspiration- :D )...
http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnnyConga
JohnnyConga

Return to Open Discussion