Which Cajon Do You Prefer?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Which Cajon Do You Prefer?

Postby vxla » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:17 pm

I need to round out my collection of instruments and get a couple cajons. Which recommendations do you all have for rumba-style playing?
vxla

Re: Which Cajon Do You Prefer?

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Bass cajon and a quinto cajon for more traditional style rumba.
bongosnotbombs

Postby rhythmrhyme » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:50 pm

There's a new video on congamaster class where Jesus is playing a bass cajon in Cuba. it's a vertial style, sort of like a very big, short and square tumba. There are 2 "mini" cajon's built off each side of the instrument and each one produces a slightly different pitched slap/pop sound. I hadn't seen any thing like this before and thought it was pretty cool. Unfortunately I needed to log in to the website in order to watch the video otherwise I'd post it.

If I were to buy another cajon it would probably be this style - although I've never seen one on line and have no idea where to purchase. Jesus was carrying a cata part on the mini side portion while playing the down notes and other variations on the bass portion, along with slaps etc there as well. A very versatile instrument...

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 pm

I found a link to a cajon like the one I was describing on BnB's blog - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_O8trN-FHVB0/T ... cajon1.jpg

You can see just around the back that there is a third playing surface. Does anyone know if these are being made anywhere?
Attachments
chinitos_cajon1.jpg
chinitos_cajon1.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
rhythmrhyme

Postby Marcus » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:17 pm

hmmm,

maybe PM percussion. I thought I saw some Cajons and the attached picture shows the same shape. I would imagine that not much effort to increase the dimensions. Might not be a bargin but neither are snow machines, Harley's and ski boats. Congas and Cajons are a much less expensive hobby.
Attachments
1040591.jpg
1040591.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
Marcus

Postby smackdaddy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:07 pm

I make those type of cajons. . . here are some pictures of some of my work, and I also make a 28" tumba, which is hard to find!! The link to my store is in my sig. . .
Attachments
IMG_0950.JPG
10012436_809454692415192_4269535682163535222_n.jpg
il_fullxfull.572352473_av1e.jpg
il_570xN.511692374_g29d.jpg
inventory.jpg
https://youtu.be/10wqmq94w5Q

Me on quinto with the rumberos of Kansas City!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/63rdstreetpercussion

Afro Cuban cajons for sale.
smackdaddy

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 pm

can you make one like the pic I posted above, with the tapa's hanging off either side?

another maker had promised to do this but never got me one. perhaps it was too technically challenging for them.
rhythmrhyme

Postby smackdaddy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:13 am

I can do that...however, it will cost you since it is irregular. What thickness are the extra sides? How big do you want the Tumba? If you are serious, send me a message. . . with all custom orders, I will require half of the money up front, but we can discuss this privately. . . my email is mikaelspears@yahoo.com. Peace!
https://youtu.be/10wqmq94w5Q

Me on quinto with the rumberos of Kansas City!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/63rdstreetpercussion

Afro Cuban cajons for sale.
smackdaddy

Postby rhythmrhyme » Mon May 05, 2014 8:17 am

smackdaddy wrote:I can do that...however, it will cost you since it is irregular. What thickness are the extra sides? How big do you want the Tumba? If you are serious, send me a message. . . with all custom orders, I will require half of the money up front, but we can discuss this privately. . . my email is mikaelspears@yahoo.com. Peace!

Thanks, the other builder was going to do the RnD necessary to get the instrument set up correctly and was going to then produce a bunch of them for sale. Clearly there are some matching tonal qualities that need to be developed between the two different sized side tapas and the main cajon. I also expect the side tapas will need to be properly framed up/reinforced so they are durable. If you ever make the effort to produce some, I'll definitely promise to buy one - but I'd need to hear a sound clip of it first.
rhythmrhyme

Return to Open Discussion