ABAKUA - (Marcelo) Some of my gig/jam pics & vids.

One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Forum rules
One thread per person please. Feel free to share with us your photos and video clips from your gigs, jams, rumbas, etc etc. No random clips or images, this is a section for our members to post up and promote their own projects and adventures.
Lets keep it positive.

Re: ABAKUA - (Marcelo) Some of my gig/jam pics & vids.

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi all, hey for those of you with Facebook, check out this clip from my gig this Friday night just passed.

I opened the night 'One night in Cuba' with a short conga solo, and intro to 'Manteca'. This is one of the projects I work with when its put together every so often for big shows.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151608753914468

Let me know if you cant see it, I will need to upload to youtube instead.
Cheers.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby joaozinho » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Flawless!
joaozinho

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:49 am

Saludos, here is a short preview of one of the tracks we have recorded with a local 14 piece Afro Cuban project.
Total of 10 songs have been recorded live in the studio at same time in the one session: Bass, Piano, Congas, Drums/Timbal are done.
Now to add Bata in some sections in a few of the tracks, 3 trumpets, 2 saxes and 3 vocals, then mixing/mastering.

Same project band from the video in the post above.

This is one of the more chilled out tracks, titled: 'El Son No Se Llama Salsa' (original composition & arrangement)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151806860344468

Hope you enjoy. Comments welcome.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:34 am

Awesome! 8)
And very nice congas, by the way :wink: :lol:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby jorge » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Excellent work, tremendo tumbao. Let us know when the CD comes out and how to get it.
What is that list of names on the Facebook page? Were they involved in the production? Inspirations?
jorge

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks guys, Im very happy with this recording, will keep you updated once its good to go. :)
The names at the bottom (tagged), some are involved in the project, others are close friends and contacts I wanted to share the video with.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:28 pm

I posted this up in the video thread also, thought Id put it up in here also.
Hope y'all dig it.

Short conga solo with a 12-13 piece local project I also work with. Line up is 3 trombones, Bass, Piano, Tres, Violin, Timbal, Congas, Bongo/Bell, 3 vox.

The clip is public so you dont need a fbook acc to check it out. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151876642089468

Saludos.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Couple of shots from one of my performances at the all weekend Darling Harbour Festival "FIESTA", performed there with 3 bands across the weekend ranging from Latin/Afro Cuban Jazz Fusion, Timba/Changui & NY style Salsa.
Below shots are from the Salsa gig performance. Great event that comes around every October, all equipment supplied by the festival. Bands all day n night, I was blessed to have the gig on congas with all 3 headlining acts.
Congas the festival supplied this year were LP Galaxy fibreglass Quinto, Conga, Tumba with Evans synthetic heads. As I really didnt like the sound of the quinto no matter how much I retuned it, I ended up putting it aside and used the conga/tumba combination instead.

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:03 am

Nice crowd!!! So you run the conga monopoly in all 3 bands, pretty impressive. One question, why not use your own drums? I am always leery of playing other drums, especially with plastic skins.
jorge

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:15 am

Si herma, me and the Timbalero/Drummer do the gig for the 3 bands that headlined (we also had gigs at the fest before the main show & @ afterparty events in the surrounding clubs!), aside from freelancing in other acts also. Works well, have rarely had clashed bookings, worked in our favour for the festival, enough time for a quick drink and wardrobe change between gigs and back on! It tests your endurance and memory retention to do gigs back to back with different bands and nail every section! hehehehehe. If there is ever a clash in performance dates etc one of us will arrange a dep for either the easiest of the repertoires or the one paying the least.
The festival always supplies high end gear, LP etc. The lug into the place is a bit of a nightmare, its a huge area plus crowds of thousands attend. You'd be crazy to take your own gear in for the event.
Ive worked this festival since it began over 15 yrs ago, they always supply high end LP Classics, Gio's, Galaxy's etc, first time Id seen anything supplied by them with synth skin. Feed back was given to the backline hiring peeps, they took note for the next one. They do send in a tech report of what gear will be supplied ahead of the date so you are informed etc, there was just no mention of the synth heads... All good, made do the best possible, still not a fan of them however.

Here's another shot from another one of the gigs we had on, this is the Afro Cuban/Latin Jazz/Modern Son fusion project we are currently recording with. (link a few posts up from album preview)
Attachments
DSC_0144.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:37 pm

How do you keep all the breaks straight in your head for 3 bands? Do you have written charts? Hopefully you don't do the same song with different breaks in different bands.
And you work a day gig too? Amazing.
jorge

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 pm

No charts Jorge :) All learnt to memory, all 3 bands different style & repertoire. One band plays solely NY style salsa with some originals, the other plays Cuban Changui/Timba/Songo + originals, the other all original & re-arranged
contemporary Afro-Cuban/Latin Jazz & Modern Son fusion. Thats why I was sayin it tests your memory retention & endurance! :lol:
Yep, I work a full time day job as a sales manager in a busy office, find myself going straight to rehearsal or gig after work quite a bit. I'm a mess most mornings during the week as a result though :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Couple extra shots from the main festival and some from the after parties in surrounding clubs..

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:28 am

From a recent gig....
Attachments
IMG_0044.jpg
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Good stuff Marcelo! I like it that you are into the MUSIC :!:
windhorse

Previous

Return to *** PHOTOS/VIDEO CLIPS OF YOUR GIGS/JAMS ***