jailhouserock

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

jailhouserock

Postby congalover » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:08 pm

hi at all!
sry, i hope its not a problem that i opened a new threat. im new here and i have a question.
im playing congas in our schoolband and well playing "jailhouserock" from bluesbrothers. do you have an idea what i could play there? i normally do the tumbao with swing sound, but the song is so fast and i dont think it sounds good.
please help me,
greetings from germany, :)
congalover

Re: jailhouserock

Postby burke » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:31 pm

I think congas fit in a lot more musical styles than the average person imagines.

But rockabilly isn't one of them IMHO - especially if there are already drum kit in a band. If there are no drums in your group then mimicking what a kit would do might be appropriate.

Add other hand percussion maybe?
Burke
burke

Postby vxla » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 pm

You could get away with a modified tumbao (although a contemporary tumbao would sound better) where the accents are on the "and" of "1" and the "and" of "3". In other words, don't duplicate what the drum set player is playing between the kick drum and snare drum.
vxla

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:05 pm

first lesson" when in doubt,lay out!..second one is for Jailhouse Rock... pick up a tamborine...
JohnnyConga

Postby vxla » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:22 pm

i'd rather hear a bad conga part than someone trying to play tambourine and unable to "swing" on such a device
vxla

Postby Derbeno » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:12 am

I do play with a classic rock band for fun who also cover this and other rock n roll numbers

I find that the cha cha cha pattern works very well
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises