my conga's are to loud, to much acoustics

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

my conga's are to loud, to much acoustics

Postby godskin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:34 pm

He there my friends.

I am happy with our spiritual group where I have the possibility to play conga in our rituals when it is needed.
We do these rituals in a chapel that has tremendous acoustics.
Our singers, gitarists, maraca players all their sound get projected very well.

The problem that arises is the fact that my conga's sound to loud en become dominant very easy.
Of course the first thing is to play softer but I don't find it easy to get a good distinction between slaps and open tones.
Yes, I am not a very experienced player yet but I am working on that.

What would be a good way to mute the conga without losing to much ?

My own solution would be to play with a conga that is less loud, projects less.
The old mahogany gon bops could be a option but I am restoring them at the moment.
My old woodcratfs are very powerful, just touching them very lightly brings a lot.
My meinl floatunes have thick mule skins and seem to the best choice for the moment.

I bought a piece a rubber ant slip mat to put under the conga that might help a little but still have to try that.

Are there any other ways work around this situation ?

Thanks, Godskin.
godskin

Re: my conga's are to loud, to much acoustics

Postby jorge » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:38 pm

The best solution to your problem is to learn to play softer, not to change your equipment. Practice playing closed slaps as soft as you can while still getting a clean distinct slap. Just the weight of your hand dropping from an inch or two above the skin is enough. Practice playing tones soft and getting even more clear tones. Playing to the room is one of the most important and basic skills of musicianship. You have to put in some hard work to become a better musician, even though some people find it easier and more fun to play the gear acquisition game. In the end, trying to buy your sound usually does not work as well as intelligent practicing to become a better musician.
Watch this clip. Roman (tumbador) is one of the strongest drummers I know and Angel (quinto) and Tonito (tres dos) are 2 of the best drummers in Cuba. Listen to the sounds they get in such a small room, the singers can be heard clearly with no mics, musicianship is key. All of these guys play religious ceremonies as well, often in halls with very echo-ey acoustics, too loud sound is never a problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_OoShNfilk
jorge

Postby rhythmrhyme » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:01 am

Such a sweet, sweet video Jorge - just love that one! Great example of what you are saying.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:13 am

Meinl Woodcrafts.... Interested in selling? :!:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby blavonski » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 pm

jorge wrote:The best solution to your problem is to learn to play softer, not to change your equipment. Practice playing closed slaps as soft as you can while still getting a clean distinct slap. Just the weight of your hand dropping from an inch or two above the skin is enough. Practice playing tones soft and getting even more clear tones. Playing to the room is one of the most important and basic skills of musicianship. You have to put in some hard work to become a better musician, even though some people find it easier and more fun to play the gear acquisition game. In the end, trying to buy your sound usually does not work as well as intelligent practicing to become a better musician.
Watch this clip. Roman (tumbador) is one of the strongest drummers I know and Angel (quinto) and Tonito (tres dos) are 2 of the best drummers in Cuba. Listen to the sounds they get in such a small room, the singers can be heard clearly with no mics, musicianship is key. All of these guys play religious ceremonies as well, often in halls with very echo-ey acoustics, too loud sound is never a problem.

Thanks for sharing this video Jorge!
Not to mention its instructional merits, it's the essence of accompaniament.
Whenever I have to practice Saxophon in my apartment, I always use a softer reed in order to get a sound that is audible and clear but doesn't rock my neighbors' boat.

Good Vibrations,
Blavonski
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby vxla » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:03 pm

I think a good majority of people overplay closed slaps. It's just another tone that shouldn't be loud than the open tones you're playing. Try moving out to the edge of the drum to get a lighter sound.
vxla

Postby congavalde » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:42 am

jorge wrote:The best solution to your problem is to learn to play softer, not to change your equipment. Practice playing closed slaps as soft as you can while still getting a clean distinct slap. Just the weight of your hand dropping from an inch or two above the skin is enough. Practice playing tones soft and getting even more clear tones. Playing to the room is one of the most important and basic skills of musicianship. You have to put in some hard work to become a better musician, even though some people find it easier and more fun to play the gear acquisition game. In the end, trying to buy your sound usually does not work as well as intelligent practicing to become a better musician.

This was probably the best advice I've seen in a long time. Thanks for that! :D
congavalde

Postby godskin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks a lot for your advise jorge.

Things have changed a lot since a posted this.
I had a lot of playing time in our chapel.
And of cource the solution comes natural with more practice.

In my home situation I need to play soft to keep my neighbours relaxed.
This practise has helped me a lot.

After having played about 7 hours in our rituals since december I am more conscious.
In the end:
if it sounds to loud there is no conga to blame, its just a opportunity for the person who is touching them to learn :D
godskin

Return to Open Discussion