CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Re: CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:11 pm

My radio Interview with Spotlite radio
starts at 123....
http://spotliteradio.com/?p=11501
JohnnyConga

Postby section_9 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:33 am

It's been almost two weeks since I got home from my five day 'Conga Camp' with Johnny Conga. I spent my five days on the drum, starting again right from the basics, learning tone development, hand balancing and fundamentals. The first three days focused mainly on this, taking the time to go through more fundamentals than you could shake a stick at. Fortunately I took my laptop and typed out all the exercises as we went through them. Johnny was also kind enough to let me leave my laptop recording video of us for 5 days solid. Johnny sat next to me all day everyday, walking me through each exercise, picking up the pace, telling me to "HIT IT", "Use your wrist, stop strong-arming it". Throughout the third day, Johnny began to introduce rhythms to me. Playing them first, getting me to follow and then once it’d made enough repetitions we’d listen to some tunes with said rhythm and play along. We also spent a few hours on the clave, with me doing nothing but playing the claves along to records until I could hear either the 2:3 or 3:2 clave. He then had me playing Tumbao to the claves correctly, which now makes loads of sense. The rest of the time we went through a load more rhythms and variations thereof. Fortunately everything was video’d as I know I would forget loads of stuff.
After getting back home it was almost a week before I touched the drums but I’m now going through the videos picking up the rhythms again bit by bit. I must admit that it’s easier as Johnny did say that my muscle memory would be doing a lot of the work, so learning them this time isn’t so hard.

I had a great week with Johnny. It was a touch far to travel from the UK, but totally worth it. My drumming has come along leaps and bounds along with my renewed interest in practicing again. All I need to do now is work 30hrs of drumming into a 1hr daily practice.

Nice one Johnny and thanks for having me. See you next march ;)

section_9

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Recent testimonial from ongoing pupil Charles Burnetts of England/Canada...

I’ve been studying the conga drum with JC for just over two years and I just want to give my total thumbs-up to his approach as a teacher and percussion professional. As a Brit with musical tastes ranging from rock, funk, jazz, hip-hop (and latin music!), I came to JC professing a slightly uncertain attraction to conga drums. Without a well-defined notion of what I really wanted to learn, JC took me through the basic strokes, rhythms and rudiments, developing my knowledge and skills in Afro-Cuban music and much else besides. JC’s experience in the music biz is obviously amazing and one of the best things about learning from him (aside from the great stories) are the unique rhythms and styles he’s acquired (and invented) over the years, from hanging and playing in so many “scenes“. So if you want a proper idea of how to play alongside funk, disco and other r n b styles, this is your guy. Needless to say, he’ll also makes sure you know the essentials behind the instrument, most importantly its deep roots in African music and traditions, and its obvious dominance in Afro-Cuban music. Not only that, JC is a very attentive teacher and is well up on things like “cognitive discovery”, which emphasises learning through hearing and hands as much as through more logical processes. Learning through Skype is also a lot easier and effective than it sounds. It’s been a great experience, revealing the full potential of the instrument to me and motivating me to keep up practice and lessons.
Charles Burnett.jpg
JohnnyConga

CONGA CAMP or ONLINE Study with Johnny Conga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat May 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Any 'newbies' to the drum here that would like 'one on one' instruction on the Conga drum?....if so please email me at johnnyconga@live.com..I use Skype.com with my pupils from around the world...This Works!..You can learn from me in the comfort of your own home...I also teach 'advanced techniques and hand balancing'....FREE introductory instruction and critique... Thank you.... ANY QUESTIONS?...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Here is my Facebook link for those that want to see what im up to these days... https://www.facebook.com/JohnnyConga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:26 pm

2 of my latest 'newbies' on the drum Vinnie Lopez(Ft. Lauderdale) and Jose Rivera from the Bronx..

Vinnie.jpg

Jose Rivera  2.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Former Online pupil Alwin Jorge Morales paid me a visit in Florida,for his 'one on one' with me,from Baltimore via Ecuador...he did great! and learned a lot...he will continue with me....
Alwin Jorge Morales.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:51 pm

New ONLINE pupil of the Conga drum, long time player and a 'homey' from "Da Bronx" via San Diego, Michael Bento for his instruction with me in "advanced techniques and drills"...
Michael Bento 1.jpg
JohnnyConga

CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:11 pm

For any "NEWBIES" ON THE CONGA DRUM...I will be available come September, for your "one on one' Conga drum instruction ....I use Skype.com and have taught those who came to me from Australia, London,England, Norway, and other places around the world, online.. I work around your time and schedule...all u need are the congas, webcam and microphone, once we are connected on Skype. If we can't use Skype.com we can use FaceBook CHAT box(which comes with a camera app)...as long we we friend one another... I am also available for intermediate players, hobbyist's, and part time players... I can save you lots of learning time, to help you get there sooner than later on the drum...all you need to do is put in the time....

I am also offering my home(starting in September) to those that want to have an "Conga Intensive" with me, where i teach you for 6 hours a day for up to 5 days. You can come for 2 3 4 or 5 days..that is up to you.2 day minimum..private room and bath plus 2 meals a day...also access to my CD collection...I pick u up at the airport and take you back..you will also accompany me to any gigs I may have while your here, as 'guest'... please message me privately for more information ....

Thank you!..I look forward to helping you on your road with the drum!...
SFCPA 2.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:07 pm

NEW ONLINE CONGA DRUM PUPIL IN AUSTRALIA--RICH CABRITA...I am signing up those for September that are looking to learn and those looking to 'advance' on the Conga drum..email me privately if interested at johnnyconga@live or PM me here..
Rich Cabrita.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:02 pm

New Online pupil in New Zealand Tini Te Rangiita....
Tini Te Tangiita.jpg
Tini Te Tangiita.jpg (6.12 KiB) Viewed 17893 times
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:10 am

Ongoing Conga drum pupil Erick Malgarejo- Miami,Fla 2014
Eick new.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:13 am

Tony Torres in North Carolina had his FREE introductory ONLINE instruction with me and plans on signing up for instruction with me....you can too!...just email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com and we take it from there.. I look forward to helping you on your road with the drum...
Tony Torres.jpg
Tony Torres.jpg (5.37 KiB) Viewed 17859 times
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:17 pm

2 of may latest Online pupils of the Conga drum Dan Hernandez(California) and Kenneth Johnson(Texas)... I am now available for those that want to expand their skills on the Conga drum.. I believe I can take you where you want to go and save you years of learning time...email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com for more information...
Dan Hernandez.jpg

Kenneth Johnson2014.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:57 pm

New Online Conga drum pupil from Lahti Finland, Claude Lehtioksa...I can also teach you Online..this works!...for those that really want to be able to play the Conga drum properly email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com HAPPY HOLIDAYS!...
Claude.jpg
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to The CongaZine