Percussion Studio software

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Percussion Studio software

Postby jorge » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:20 pm

The topic of Percussion Studio software came up in another thread on Eddie Montalvo's tumbao variation, and I am starting this thread to try to avoid hijacking the other thread.

I looked at the website but still don't understand what Percussion Studio software does. Does it directly transcribe a phrase that you play on real congas into the notation system shown above? Do you have to record the congas into a wav file first and then run Percussion Studio on the wav file? Do you have to manually sequence sampled sounds to produce a rhythm?

Can someone please explain what it does and what a conga player could use it for?
jorge

Re: Percussion Studio software

Postby burke » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks Jorge,

I too basically have the same questions but didn't to ask [aware of the hijacking we were straying into].

The only thing I can add is I downloaded it and did try converting something I was interested in to a wav file, but got the 'file not recognized' message ... so I'm a bit puzzled as well.

Can't say the help docs weren't all that helpful ... maybe me being dim as well :)
Burke
burke

Postby Kaban » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 pm

PS is a really good software. I never tried using/importing my own sound samples, so I can't speak to how well it does that. The sound samples that come with it, and you can download from others who post theirs is good enough for me. I use it to play along with clave, Drum-kit, bass drum...etc. I program what ever conga pattern, at whatever speed that I need to start off with, add/subtract other instruments. Really cool, and simple to use. It uses icons for the tones, and you just select and it plays what sound it is, and you add to the line to make the pattern.
Kaban

Postby jorge » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:39 pm

So it is like a sequencer, you have to program in the rhythm correctly, choose the sound(s) for each beat or part of a beat, and then listen back to see if it sounds right? Does it play clave so it sounds realistic (the rhythm not the sound quality)?
jorge

Postby Roka » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:45 pm

jorge wrote:So it is like a sequencer, you have to program in the rhythm correctly, choose the sound(s) for each beat or part of a beat, and then listen back to see if it sounds right? Does it play clave so it sounds realistic (the rhythm not the sound quality)?

Right. You have place every sound there (copy-paste also working)

jorge wrote:Does it play clave so it sounds realistic (the rhythm not the sound quality)?

No at the very begining. You can achieve it when you have some experience, but you have play with this tool a bit before.
There is a database where other users place their own, or traditional rhythms and you can dowload them and play with PS.
Some of them are a good examples to understand how to program this machine to groove. But, still the "machinery feeling exists.
It's not Cubase /ProTools, etc
Roka

Postby Roka » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Here's the example how it looks and sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSVJv39dPKU

West African percussion in this case
Roka

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Cool - I like it!

The sampled djembe could use a couple knots though :D
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby KidCuba » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 pm

I use it to help me transcribe rhythms I am learning and run them through their sound sequencer. It is not perfect but a good resource.

He is a sample of their notation system which I used for a three drum conga de comparsa I am working on...
Conga de Comparsa 3 Drums Based on Folkloric style shared by Troy Parker.JPG

Along with a sound file I made of a bembe rhythm to practice with...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmpj5hYsW-8
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby burke » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:53 pm

I think when Derbeno wrote in the other discussion "Threw it on Percussion Studio for you." I read/interpreted that as he imported the clip and the program transcribed it for him.

I think now that was a misread on my part and the program doesn't do that at all [but oh boy wouldn't a program that did that be worth its weight in gold!]. But actually he transcribed it old school and used the program to post his transcription.

That sound about right?
Burke
burke

Postby congamyk » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:28 pm

I use Fruity Loops to create backing and practicing tracks.
It sounds rather straight, Any thoughts?
Here's a sample....

https://soundcloud.com/mikemillerjazz/p ... co-136-bpm
congamyk

Postby windhorse » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:06 pm

congamyk wrote:I use Fruity Loops to create backing and practicing tracks.
It sounds rather straight, Any thoughts?
Here's a sample....

https://soundcloud.com/mikemillerjazz/p ... co-136-bpm

Sounds exactly as if you'd used Percussion Studio on this. I guess this is a nice alternative to PS. Do they make a Mac version? How's the printed script look? Anything like PS?
Yes, "straight" yet surprisingly swung sounding like the real thing. Maybe because of the bombo hit on 2nd strike of clave.
windhorse

Postby congamyk » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:21 am

Hi Dave, Fruity Loops is a very versatile program.
You have to build everything from scratch, not sure if that's the same as Percussion Studio or not.
Here's a screen shot of what I guild in Fruity Loops.
congamyk

Postby congamyk » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:21 am

congamyk

Postby windhorse » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:26 pm

I really liked the simplicity of percussion studio, and the fact that it had an easy print function for what you programmed/"wrote" as your percussion sequence.
How does a print-out of your track look on FL?

Fruity Loops, now called FL studio looks much beefier, more robust, and thus more complex. But, it will work on my new Mac. And PS doesn't. So, just might have to go with it. Here's a download link:
http://www.image-line.com/downloads/flstudiodownload.html
windhorse

Postby congamyk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:37 am

there is no print out in FL
congamyk

Return to Open Discussion