Guarapachanguero

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Guarapachanguero

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 am

Anyone know the name of a recording of guarapachangureo by Los Chinitos? I can't feel this rhythm without singing accompanying it. Watching this video really confirmed this for me. Once they started singing, at the end, it made musical sense to me. I was introduced to this rhythm by the El Callejon de los Rumberos cd by Yoruba Andabo. Later, saw it demonstrated many places on youtube, however; none of them were accompanied with the full ensemble or with singing. This is the first I've seen. The rhythm/phrase is said to be 2 claves long, but I don't detect many if any 2 clave-long phrases in the versions I've heard from YA or Clave y Guaguanco, and others, and have never detected this 2 clave-long phrase, that is demonstrated as guarapachanguero, by so many congueros. I'm thinking maybe its on this recording by Los Chinitos that I saw mentioned somewhere on the internet. Even here, I don't see many 2 clave long phrases. The few that I think may be, may just be an improvisational phrase. Yoruba Andabo set the standard for this rhythm for me. I'm trying to create a version of my own - inspired by theirs - basically structured around a conversation between 2 players answering each other with 2 open tones on opposite sides of the clave. I'd like to know what you guys think of this rhythm and how you play it. Thanks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8n3GRB1 ... &index=101
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Re: Guarapachanguero

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Just drop an r ;-) It is: guarapachangueo.

Check out these videos:

With singing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c04P6riutHo

Without: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kk2auMsJo4
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 pm

There are a few variations ..Panga has one, Los Chinitos has their's(the inventors)..Jesus Diaz has his...I have my way..and Im sure there are other ways depending how many drums your using....it is a rhythm that has many possibilities ..BTW Mike is a great educator and has many great videos...keep up the 'good works!" Mike...
JohnnyConga

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks! Mike, This is what I needed to see - how you play it with another drummer. Michael Spiro is the only one I have seen present the rhythm with another drummer, prior to seeing yours. In the version with singing, Yasuyo's pattern is one clave long, while Victor's is two. Is that correct? Mike Spiro's version has both player's patterns two claves long. It was informative to learn that the original version by Los Chinitos used just one drum per drummer. As stated previously having first heard this rhythm played by Yoruba Andabo, and seeing only video of them and others using conga and cajon per drummer, it was hard for me to make musical sense of this rhythm. I get enough of just drum rhythms and no singing playing at the drum circle on Sundays. I can't appreciate that pattern without a melody on top of it. Your singing helps a lot. I still would like to hear Los Chinitos' recording. Hopefully Barry Cox can help with that. Yoruba Andabo and others may be using two clave long patterns also, as I first thought Victor's pattern was only one clave long. The two open tones he uses on both the first and second clave threw me off. This is probably similar to how I'm hearing the ensemble versions by Yoruba Andabo and others, and can't detect a two clave long phrase in them. Well, now I feel better prepared, and comfortable working out a version of my own, knowing not all the patterns have to be two claves long. Do you agreed?
Last edited by Quinto Governor II on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 pm

[quote ..BTW Mike is a great educator and has many great videos...keep up the 'good works!" Mike...[/quote]

The same should be said of you Johnny. Thanks!
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 am

JohnnyConga wrote: ..BTW Mike is a great educator and has many great videos...

Not even close, Johnny.
Even far more: I do not remotely feel on par with you! :oops:
This must hve been a misunderstanding

BTT: I have always understood guarapachangeo as as a rhythm that stretches over two clave phrases.
Last edited by Mike on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Quinto Governor II » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:47 am

I've edited my question, as it was a bit confusing - mistaking Mike as the creator of the video with the singing. In any event, do you guys see Yasuyo's pattern as one clave long?

"BTT: I have always understood guarapachangeo as a rhythm that stretches over two clave phrases."

This is what I am questioning. The original version that we are taught - yes, but does the full ensemble versions using multiple drums and cajons per drummer that we hear in recordings always use all two clave long phrases?
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Thank you Mike, your very kind...Yes I agree with you that the initial pattern is 4 bars long...on 2 congas...Yasuyo is playing half of the pattern, so yes I would say her pattern is one Clave long...
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises