Identify this set for me please

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Identify this set for me please

Postby slk » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Hey guys I just picked up this set, and I do not know what model they are. I am new to the conga world. I was able to pick up these for a reasonable price. Just wondering if they are a good quality????? Also the quinto, and conga on the stand seam to be tilted at a pretty good angle. Is that correct or should they be straight?

Thanks
Steve

slk

Re: Identify this set for me please

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Well, to state the obvious: these are TOCA congas...

And sure, they are fine congas, just like comparable LP or Pearl or Meinl congas -
there is not really much of a difference.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby slk » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:08 pm

Being new to the conga world is there a key to tune these to? I am so confused with the conga and tumba right now as they both seam to have the same pitch/tone. I just want to start off right. I am a guitar player and have lots of rhythm, but these drums are very intimidating. I love the sounds of congas, and that is why I would like to learn to play.

I think these are Toca Kaman 4611's.
slk

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Conga & tumba are generally tuned appr. a fourth apart, frequently in c and g.

Kaman is the big company which Toca is a percussion brand of, as well as LP (Latin Percussion).

What do you mean you have a lot of rhythms? Wel, first and foremost, try to find a conga teacher,
at least that is my piece of advice.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby slk » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Kaman was owned by Fender. They have since sold out to DW drums (Drum Workshop) In 2014, Drum Workshop acquired the Gretsch Drums, TOCA, Latin Percussion, LP, KAT[disambiguation needed], Ovation guitar and Gibraltar brands.

I said I have rhythm (singular) , but that is playing guitar, not drums. Big difference in instruments. That is why I would like to learn the right way

Steve
slk

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:57 am

slk wrote:Kaman was owned by Fender. They have since sold out to DW drums (Drum Workshop) In 2014, Drum Workshop acquired the Gretsch Drums, TOCA, Latin Percussion, LP, KAT[disambiguation needed], Ovation guitar and Gibraltar brands.

Yes, Steve, that is a big bunch of companies and brands indeed. CanĀ“t say I like that Fender/Kaman conglomerate though...

As to conga playing: proper technique is of the essence.
So, it is up to you how your approach is going to be like.

And by the way, please do use the search function here, this site has tons of information.
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Open Discussion