SOS congas

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Re: SOS congas

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:53 am

KING CONGA wrote:The question is, "What is a reasonable and fair market value"? That is what drives the price of a sale, well ok sometimes personal sentiment in which case it can be an extreme cost.
The thing about SOS drums, especially when they are in a condition such as this, is that regardless of the market they can always be sold for a profit.
IMHO a fair market value for this set is no less that $3,500.00
Cheers
K.C.

Dang... 4900CAD, that's getting up there. Problem is, then a guy needs to find comparable drums made by a legend (and a hella nice guy) that also sound fantastic. It's a tall order that might not be possible these days.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Derbeno » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:16 am

I have bought and sold any size SOS for $1000 each.

Any seller has the right to ask for any price he desires without being ridiculed. The market will soon determine the going rate and sort out any ridiculousness.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Fabibi3791 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:15 pm

I am a trouble maker...No I dont think so !!!

I am a customer who have the right to be treated correctly with respect...I also have the right to never waste my time when I make business with somebody...

I just want to explain to everybody...this guy try to sell me another drums and he never want to pay for the Paypal fees...so for about 30$ he prefer to cancel the transaction...that's why he say I am a trouble maker.....let me laugh,...you amuse me !

When you sell something through Paypal you have to deal with the Paypal fees...I cant really understand why the buyer would have to pay for... !!!
Fabibi3791

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:55 am

Have you seen the forum rule?
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

I am just saying.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby burke » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:47 am

Too be fair both combatants have been pretty hostile.

Business is business. People ask more than they expect and people counter with low ball offers ... that's as old as commerce.

The creators of CP have a code of conduct statement that should [in theory] deal with bad behavior, but if you've been around a while, you know you have to be pretty toxic in order for the mods to step in.

The extra no negativity rule was pushed by the member who pushed for this FOR SALE section in the first place. That person was very sensitive to any criticism real or imagined and would really crap on anyone [for those who were not around then] who low balled him ... I mean deeply personal insulting stuff.

Most of us have never met each other ... likely if this 'conversation' had occurred in the real world with body language, tone of voice etc. most of the anger would not have happened. Too easy for words on a page to be misread as something not intended in the first place.

Maybe all could just go with the assumption there was some miscommunication and just let er go eh? ... as we say up here in Canada :)

Happy New Year
Burke
burke

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:00 am

You´re spot on with what you say, erm write, Burke :)
Let´s hope for a peaceful 2016. There are by far more serious things to worry about.
Happy New Year to all of you!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Fabibi3791 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:55 am

Effectively ...! there is more serious things to worry about !!!

Happy new year to you guys !
Fabibi3791

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:18 pm

Here here!!!
KING CONGA

Postby MACHO123 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:14 pm

I've sold to fabibi before. It's difficult because of the currency exchange rate. When he offered $2000, he actually offered $2800 which isn't a bad price for the drums. I also know the seller, great guy, not to be messed with, was offended bc he misunderstood the price. This SOS set is definitely worth $3000. The problem with Fabibi, which I experienced also is that he feels he shouldn't have to pay the Paypal fees. When a buyer wants something, he has to be prepared to pay tax, shipping and handling plus whatever other fees come up. that's my understanding. I'm amused by the buyers who feel the seller should pay for shipping etc. When I buy, I expect to pay for all expenses associated with the sale. If not, I'll pass it up.
MACHO123

Postby jorge » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:12 pm

To my dismay, I see this website degenerating from one which had a lot of interchange of useful knowledge about playing AfroCuban music, care and repair of congas, bongos and other AfroCuban percussion instruments, who is playing where, great new CDs, etc to one which is mainly an auction venue for merchants who don't really care about the music or culture and have decided to make a business out of squeezing as much money as they can out of collectors buying and selling these instruments.

Making percussion instruments was a labor of love for both Jay and Junior, neither was in it for the money. They both made their instruments to be played by great musicians and help disseminate the music of the African diaspora. They did not make their instruments to be collected, traded and profited from. For most of their careers they both charged between $300 and $400 for their drums brand new because the really good players could not and would not pay more. Neither of them charged anywhere close to the current "market value" that people on this website and elsewhere are trying to create of $1000 and even more for a conga that might be 10 to 40 years old. Part of the reason for this price increase is the inflation that is occurring in the US and globally over the past few decades, but a big part of the price increase is due to the wheeling and dealing by people who are more merchants than musicians. Many years ago, Jay Bereck told me he once forgot to sign one of his congas and the guy, who couldn't play, brought it back and asked him to sign it because "when you die this is going to be worth some MONEY." Jay was rightfully upset by this mentality and shared his annoyance with me. I agree and am sharing it with you to try to bring a different, more positive perspective to this discussion.

Let's try to keep the cultural and artistic aspects of this website primary and not let the profiteering aspects drag it down. One of the results of this profiteering process is that people who really can play now can't afford to buy SOS or Junior drums. If you are a dealer, do your haggling privately not on the website. With rare exceptions, most of the really great players I know refuse to pay these kind of prices and now consider SOS and Junior drums to be "collectors' items". They are resigned to that and do just fine with commercially made congas and bongos because they really know how to play and can get great sound out of almost any drum. What I am seeing here with all this haggling on the website is that the "bidness" aspect is overtaking the artistic and cultural aspects. The music loses and the only benefit goes mostly to the few people who are trying to make a business of the unearned profits they can squeeze out of dealing in SOS, Junior and other drums that were made to be played not marketed for maximum profit.

Learn to play your drums and then go play them.
jorge

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:11 am

people pay a grand for a hand made drum because that's what they're worth. current price for a hand made djembe with pro quality skin is also north of $800USD, $950 if you ask DrumSkulls or Wula, and you'll never really know who made it. I agree in part with your statement Jorge, that there is inflation at play. I don't agree that the 'wheeling and dealing' has much, if anything, to do with it. Labour and materials are expensive these days, drums take a lot of time and energy to make if you're not a giant robot based in a cheap labour country. Creating a similar product today would easily result in a retail price of 1K for a similar instrument. Just ask Matt Smith LOL, or Moperc chuckle...

USD's are also akin to gold at the moment and selling my SOS congas for $1400CAD each is honestly quite tempting. But like I said before, it's not about the money. I'm also equally annoyed that I can't afford one of those beautiful 14" djembe's from Guinea that sometime surface on the DrumSkulls or Wula sites. I liked it better when the bucks were closer to par a few years back. I won't get into the nonsense of our previous prime minister who tied our dollar too closely to the price of oil... later skater!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby pcastag » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:18 pm

This forum has kind of been dying for quite some time. I usually only pop in to see if there's anything cool for sale. Collectors are going to sell for what they can get... standard market practice. New boutique drums cost about 1000-1200. I don't think any of those guys that hand make drums today are making much off of them either so that would indicate that is the value of a hand made drum.
PC
pcastag

Postby smackdaddy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:45 pm

i would pay...i think his price is very reasonable....
https://youtu.be/10wqmq94w5Q

Me on quinto with the rumberos of Kansas City!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/63rdstreetpercussion

Afro Cuban cajons for sale.
smackdaddy

Previous

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE