Looking for Johnny Rodriguez Bongos

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Looking for Johnny Rodriguez Bongos

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 pm

I am in the market for a Johnny Rodriguez Bongo. Please PM me if you have one for sale.
Thanks.!
:mrgreen:
KING CONGA

Re: Looking for Johnny Rodriguez Bongos

Postby Kaban » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:40 am

What do they look like? Can you post a picture of them?
Kaban

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:58 am

Chtimulato

Postby caballoballo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 am

King Konga I suggest you go for other Bongó. The Dandy has an awful bearing edge flat sharp type which is very uncomfortable during martillo. I have own two and both times got rid of them. On the last one I used the hardware for the bongó on the picture and sold the shells.
Attachments
received_1072983439379352.jpeg
14567461585580.jpg
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Psych1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:26 pm

I have one that I don’t like also but for different reasons than Caballoballo. It is presently in my “to-do someday project” line-up.

True the sharp bearing edge can be uncomfortable but I think it is an easy fix to sand it and round it off a little. I just don’t like the way it looks. I know LP tried to copy the look of Mongo’s bongo that Dario now has but they failed. It really has a cheap plastic looking coating that I don’t like at all.

My original project-plan was just to strip it because it is a great wood underneath. But it really requires an industrial stripper or a torch and would be more of a sticky mess than I was willing to do. My current project-plan for it is to do what Caballoballo did and to use the hardware, which is great!, on another bongo. Then I planned to get some thin birch and/or mahogany plywood and convert the shells into a bongo cajon.

But, my “to-do someday” list is endless. So, if you don’t come up with one somewhere else, and still want one - I may be willing to part with mine. I could then cross 2 items off my to-do list.
Psych1

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:42 pm

My question may seem naive, Psych1, but could it work with a heat gun or paint stripper ? I would also be interested in this bongó and could afford one, but what I read about the bearing edge "calms me down" a little - though I'm not afraid of sanding it down and rounding it off a little bit. But first of all, I don't like the colour. I like the shape of the drums (look like Valje to me) but not this black and red coating. And since you mentionned that "plastic coating"...
Chtimulato

Postby caballoballo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:04 pm

I had the same idea about the bearing edge, however it is cut on an angle which reduces the thickness of the wood. By sanding you may reduce the height of the shells, that bongó is only 6.25 " tall. I have spoken to a friend Artisan and he said it could be done but it could result in a shorter shell.
Josean
caballoballo

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE