yambu 'middle drum' part

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

yambu 'middle drum' part

Postby burke » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:14 am

This is a long shot

I spent about 3 hours yesterday watching the yambu 'middle drum' part being demonstrated [but unfortunately not taught] on the Spiro website by Jesus Diaz on cajon.

I was trying to transcribe it but just could not nail it down … I'm usually able to figure this stuff out, but I just could not get it!

By chance has anyone else every worked out exactly what he is doing and would be willing to share?

In particular what he's doing with his left hand on the side of the cajon …

It looks like its all on offbeats and is alternating single stroke/ double stroke – the singles would be 8th notes? But then the doubles would be 16ths and one would land on the onbeat? … but nothing would line up.

Anyway I got hopelessly muddled and confused and feel like I'm missing something simple and obvious.

If no one can help, I'll try it again later and if I get something I think is close I'll share.

Cheers
Burke
burke

Re: yambu 'middle drum' part

Postby jorge » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Glad to see you are trying to figure out Yambu parts. Yambu is a very beautiful rhythm, not easy and few people actually know how to play it. Congamasterclass.com gives a very good demonstration, extremely clear and much simplified, you should be able to figure it out from those videos, but it will take some time investment and serious concentration with many attempts. The hardest part is to hold the slow tempo and not rush it and turn it into a guaguanco. For us to help you, we need to know more about which part you are trying to learn and what is giving you difficulty.
First, to which of the 8 Yambu videos on Congamasterclass.com are you referring? And which part are you referring to as the "middle part"?
jorge

Postby burke » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Actually it is congamasterclass that gives it the title "Middle Drum" in the opening sequence - second video I think.
Burke
burke

Postby burke » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Untitled.jpg
Here is my transcription of what Ed Uribe has in his book for two drum Yambu and my transcription of what congamasterclass calls 'Yambu Low' in the title [1st video I think] - I use box notation - just a preference - I read music, I just find box notation easier as a quick reference or percussion shorthand.
Burke
burke

Postby jorge » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:36 am

Play the cata part along with the clave and cajon part and you will see how the left hand pattern fits. Later in the second video Jesus actually shows the left hand part played alone with just the clave so you can study that section and see how it fits.
jorge

Postby burke » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks Jorge,

I'll keep working on it :0)
Burke
burke

Postby jorge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:50 am

Hang in there but before you get too stuck on the middle drum part, learn the cata part in the third video. Follow the mechanics Jesus shows you exactly.
jorge

Postby jorge » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:25 am

How is the yambu going? Did you get it yet? Pay close attention to the cata (guagua) part.
jorge

Postby burke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:32 pm

On hold for now ... life and all :)

I will get back to it soon I hope.
Burke
burke

Postby jorge » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:13 pm

I can definitely relate. But meanwhile, practice the cata part while you are sitting around waiting for the bus or whatever down time you can't escape. If you play it like Jesus demonstrates it, and you play each hand on a different surface, you will see that your left hand is playing the same pattern as that yambu part. It might even help with the "life" issues too, there is something therapeutic about playing rumba.
jorge

Postby burke » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Good advise as always!

No excuses ... I will get to the cata part as you suggest ... I don't even like football so I can't even use the Superbowl as an excuse to not practice :)
Burke
burke

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises