New York Jams/Gigs?

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

New York Jams/Gigs?

Postby Hugh77 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:23 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to New York (arrived last week). I'm working here as a percussionist for a couple of months and want to make the most of my time here. Does anyone know places to play/hear Afro-Cuban music in and around NYC? I'm working in Brooklyn every night until 11pm (except Sundays and Mondays) so late night works best for me. Hit me up here if you've got suggestions, or email me if you prefer - hughwilkinson77@yahoo.com
Thanks! H
Hugh77

Re: New York Jams/Gigs?

Postby Derbeno » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:37 am

Guantanamara Restaurant/Club

Check out Pedrito Martinez and his band

http://guantanamerany.com/Home.html
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Hugh77 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:30 am

Thanks Derbeno but it looks like Pedrito is playing when I'm working which is annoying. I've seen youtube clips and he's a monster player. H
Hugh77

Postby MedinaNYC » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 pm

This Saturday, February 11th in Brooklyn at Roulette, Pedrito Martinez - "Havana to Brooklyn - Santeria to Salsa". It's going to be hot. See you there.

Havana to Brooklyn
Pedrito Martinez
Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:00 PM

Roulette
509 Atlantic Avenue (Corner of 3rd Avenue),
Downtown Brooklyn

For More Info:
http://www.worldmusicinstitute.org/event.php?id=1218
MedinaNYC

Postby jorge » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 am

OK, here you go, the real deal Central Park rumba is now back up and running again. Every Sunday, 6-11 pm in its winter location, El Patio de la Rumba en El Barrio, NYC, 23 E 115 St, between Madison and 5th Ave, second floor. We are taking donations, whatever you can afford, to help pay for the space, light, heat, and the sound system. Come warm weather we go back to the park again, with no overhead to cover. Modern Cuban rumba NYC style, clave will be strictly enforced, if you can play you can play. La timba no es como ayer. We also respectfully request that those of you who go near the mics, please try to sing in key!
jorge

Postby jorge » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:36 pm

False alarm. The rumba for tomorrow, Sunday 2/12, has been cancelled. Somebody else rented the space at that time and bumped us. Most likely it is on for next Sunday 2/19, I will confirm a few days before.
jorge

Postby Isaac » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Where in Central Park is the Rumba held now ? looking for any recommended rumbas or other good latin music for
1st week of august.

Isaac
Isaac

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:55 pm

The Rumba in Central park takes place all day Sunday ..Take the Broadway line train 1 to 72nd street and walk towards the park..by noon time you should be able to hear the drums and just follow the sound into the park and you will find them on the same bench in front of the lake I also jammed on back in the 60's and 70's...where it has been held all these years...have fun!...
JohnnyConga

Postby pcastag » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:23 am

Heading there tomorrow, can't wait!
PC
pcastag

Postby Isaac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:54 pm

FRIDAY NIGHT - Eddie Palmieri 2 shows at SOB's Houston & Varick
Isaac

Postby pcastag » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Pedrito free show Monday night Marcus Garvey park, 120 and milk, 7-9' Tuesday night same place Robert glasper. Love this town!
PC
pcastag

Postby afrocubarico » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:The Rumba in Central park takes place all day Sunday ..Take the Broadway line train 1 to 72nd street and walk towards the park..by noon time you should be able to hear the drums and just follow the sound into the park and you will find them on the same bench in front of the lake I also jammed on back in the 60's and 70's...where it has been held all these years...have fun!...

Hey guys!
I know I'm a few years late but are rumbas still happening in Central Park on Sundays? I live in the Bronx and I'm looking to check out some rumbas but don't know where to go. I've been searching for rumbas in Orchard Beach because back in the days that's all you heard at this beach, the sound of congas/rumbas. I did see one this past Sunday but it was weak as all hell. A couple of guys playing but they looked like they were all blasted out their heads and sounded terrible. If anyone knows of any rumbas going down in NYC, please let me know. Thanks!
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby jorge » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:30 am

Yes, the Central Park rumba is alive and kicking, usually from about 5 to 10pm Sundays (not noon) if it is nice weather. Around 72nd St level on the benches next to the lake. Very variable quality, depending on who shows and who is playing that song. Sometimes great rumberos come, sometimes not, a veces hay guaperia y mucha bulla, a veces no, asi es la rumba. Tends to be very fast and loud guaguanco with occasional rumba columbia and a very rare yambu.

The Zinc Bar rumba is going into its 5th year, just celebrated our first 4 years last week! 82 W 3rd St in the village, a block below Washington Sq Park. Roman Diaz y Rumba Habanera, with lots of guest artists sitting in every week. This is modern Cuban rumba, mainly Habana style but sometimes reflecting Matanzas, Santiago de Cuba and NYC influences. Right now it is every Thursday from 10 pm to 12 midnight but the schedule does sometimes change. Check www.zincbar.com before you come down to make sure the time or day hasn't changed. Usually one long set. There is a cover charge for the music room, no cover at the bar.
jorge

Postby afrocubarico » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Wow! Jorge, I can't begin to thank you enough for this info my brother! Thank you very much. I'll be in the Central Park area this Sunday and will look out for the rumba. I'll also be sure to check out the Zinc bar. One more question, in the Central Park rumbas, do they let people sit in or not? I know there are some rumba groups that would not let someone they don't know sit in and play a part. Thanks again bro!
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby jorge » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:28 am

In Central Park if you can play the usual Cuban tres dos or tumbador part in time and in clave at speed you should have no problem. Sometimes you have to be assertive to get on a drum, it helps if you go early around 4:30 or 5 before too many people get there. Start out playing clave or guagua for a song or two to get your timing up to speed before you grab a drum. If you don't feel confident, you may want to practice a part with records at home the week before you go.
jorge

Next

Return to News