New to conga

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

New to conga

Postby hawaiisteve » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to conga.

I just got a 11 inch and 10 inch set. Not sure where to start really.

What would be a good starting key for them both? c for 11 and high e for 10?

Thanks
hawaiisteve

Re: New to conga

Postby Greensail » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Happy Holidays HawaiiSteve, So as not to re-iterate, if you do a search there are a large number of threads on tuning. While general guidelines / standards exist, they are more personal preference. It took me a pretty long time to be able to tune my drums by ear. Some of it depends upon the specific drum you play and especially the genre of music. Most important is what sounds good to you.
Regards,
Greensail
Greensail

Postby Juaort » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Hey Hawaiisteve! I second what Greensail said. Also, 10” and 11” conga drums would tend to have a higher pitch than your 11 3/4” and bigger congas. But depending on the style of music your playing, you’ll have to adjust to running your drums to compliment that Style. Have fun with them!

Regards, Juaort
Juaort

Postby hawaiisteve » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks guys,

Happy holidays,

As a complete newbie to both playing the congas and also playing music in general I'm aiming to just have them in tune so that I can begin to play around and figure things out. I think I'll start with c and g just to get me started. How many styles are there?

I would have no idea how to tune by ear. Are there any tuning apps on Android that you might be aware of?

Thanks again
hawaiisteve

Postby Juaort » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:35 pm

No apps that I can think of. But you can YouTube how to play congas. There’s a ton of great videos on how to tune, technic and different styles to play. There’s a YouTube channel that I love, “A Percussion Life”. The guys name is Erik, he’s awesome. You’ll learn a ton from him.

Juaort
Juaort

Postby hawaiisteve » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks Juaort
hawaiisteve

Return to Open Discussion