Lali QEPD

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Lali QEPD

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:01 pm

La rumba no es como ayer. I just learned about Lali's passing away. Raúl González Brito, un maestro entre maestros.

I remember him teaching me to play shekere, "como si estuvieras vertiendo agua"

QEPD, compadre. Honneur et respect. Ibae.
Chtimulato

Re: Lali QEPD

Postby jorge » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:49 am

Lali was my friend, a great guy, well respected and much loved rumbero and batalero in Cuba and here. They had a rumba for him today in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. I couldn't go, still getting over a fever, hopefully from my last Covid vaccination. I met him in 1990 in La Habana, saw him play cajon with Clave y Guaguanco and also bata at a doble tambor with all the greats from Conj Folklorico Nacional and Clave y Guaguanco. He came to our rumba in 2015 in NYC, sang and played and hung out with us. Ibae bayen tonu Raul de la Caridad Gonzalez Brito (Lali).
jorge

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:32 am

Yes, he was a great man and an awesome teacher. Even the least gifted and most arrhythmic of musicians would learn something during a lesson with him. Totally easily, and above all with a great fun.
Stay safe, Jorge.
Chtimulato

Postby Siete Leguas » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:17 am

I only "knew" him from a video posted by Barry Cox on YT that I have watched a few times of a little rumba de cajón in a backyard in Havana with Amado Dedeu, Inés Carbonell, Chappottín, Juan de Dios and other renowned rumberos. I think he also might have played in a record by Clave y Guagancó that I have.

Just watched a video of him singing and playing a guagancó on 5 tumbadoras. Mucho arte!

Lucky you to have had him as a teacher. DEP.
Siete Leguas

Postby jorge » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Here are 3 videos Lali and Gato (Ernesto Gatel) did with Roman Diaz' group a few years ago. They were in the US visiting from Cuba.

Lali singing El Sofocado. If you can't see him when the screen comes up you should be able to put your cursor on the screen, left click hold and drag the screen to see all the musicians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3JKtdJs8Vo

Another rumba, with Lali playing clave and singing coro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OC6btzrUfs

A song to Obbatala, Lali singing coro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9tgrgVgCc4
jorge

Postby Siete Leguas » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:53 pm

Cool 360° videos, and nice playing, Jorge!
Siete Leguas

Return to News