mics for live performance

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby crashkahuna » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:03 pm

What kind of mics do you use for live gigs? I also sing so right now using sm58 that I point to conga when not singing. I am thinking of getting some small condensor mics, one for each drum. Thanks for any input. :cool:
crashkahuna

Postby zaragemca » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:09 pm

Greeting,I'm using Sennheisers E604,for drums and percussion.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Ivan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:00 pm

I used Audix F-series mics... When I got them a case with 6 mics, 2 Condensor Mics, 3 Tom (conga) mics and one bass drum mic for under 300.00.

This reminds me a problem I have whether it be using my own mics or house supplied mics - the sound guy never gets it right! It is such a frustrating process to explain to sound engineers the sound I am looking for...

Does anyone else on this forum have the same trouble?

Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby zaragemca » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:39 pm

I have witnessed that problems many times,it has to do with the type of mics,vs.,the equalization/compression used for the signals,vs., where you are when listening,(one thing is listening in the stage,and something else is when you get out to find out what the audience is receiving through the speakers.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1122410422
zaragemca

Postby pidoca » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:55 pm

Gday, I too have the experinced the same problem.

I over came it by taking my own mics and effects rack to gigs. In the effects rack i have a lexicon 110 effects unit to add a little reverb; a behringer quad gate, to make sure that only my drums and aux percussion is picked up by my mics ( hence no feedback); a tapco compressor; and last but not least an equalizer. I sub mix all my mics to a yamaha desk then send the sound guy a stereo feed.

The feed back from the sound guys is that it has simplified their life and they like the sound they are getting.

I have some friends that are sound engineers and they helped me set it all up. we worked on mic placement as well. I am using CAD mics for the congas. It is impossible to get the mics in exactly the same position every time, but close enough.

it has been a long and some what expensive process but i think worth it. I am able to get a consistent sound. I got the idea from whatching David Weckel (drumset) at an intimate gig. He was sub-mixing everything he had; and he had a lot of drums. All the sound guy had to worry about was the volume, and even that can be over come, when the sound guy is not paying attention you can turn your self up a little. he wont even notice.

I apologise if I have offended any sound people out there. good ones are rare.

On my website I have put up a paper on miking percussion. http://www.cabritamusic.com
have a look on the "interests' page under recording percussion.

God Bless
Pidoca
http://www.cabritamusic.com
pidoca

Postby yoni » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:34 pm

Hi all,

I like the Shure sm58 for singing and the Shure sm57 for percussion. I only have the sm57, so I use it for both, but think it's better for percussion. If I had those Sennheisers that Zaragemca wrote of, I would use them. Have been miked with them before and they sound great. Of course much depends on the soundman and the system one goes through...

Yoni
yoni

Postby Diceman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi,

I just got fed up with 1) not being able to hear myself on stage and 2) not knowing what I sound like up front.
I am still experimenting, and I use a mixture of senheisers and AKG mics, BUT I then mix them through a Roland monitor cube right next to me (using the headphone output for soundcheck balancing) The Cube allows me to hear what I am mixing, and then the feed (via the headphone socket) to the desk is how I want it heard.
Again you dont have to rely on someone else to get the sound and volume you want. Its not an expensive setup either and you dont have to damage youself to be heard.

I am thinking of using a small condenser mic strapped to my strong hand, to pick up tambourines, shakers, pandeiros, triangles etc. Anyone tried it, does it work???
Sabor
Diceman
Diceman

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:20 pm

I think it would be uncomfortable if you also have to do hand drumming in the same song. Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1122506539
zaragemca

Return to Open Discussion