Cachete Maldonado's Health?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:32 am

Does anyone know how Cachete's health is. Is he still performing? Is BATACUBELE still performing?
RayBoogie

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:45 am

Last I heard (in May this year), he was not doing so well, though he was somewhat recovering.. And partially paralyzed as a result of the numerous strokes he suffered.
You refer to Batacumbele correct? As I understood, (and I may possibly be wrong) Batacumbele basically became Descarga Boricua. Though they are clearly known as two distinct groups.
There was a fund raiser concert done not too long ago with most the Batacumbele/Descarga Boricua crew in honour of Cachete.

As for the group continuing without his presence, that I am not aware of unfortunately.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:08 pm

Cachete is in a wheelchair and could barely speak. He had a second stroke that was a set back to the recovery he was on due to the first one. His group "Los Majaderos" keeps on performing at different venus, specially, in the new "Balcon del Zumbador" that is now in the Pinones area.

Batacumbele had a concert last month here in Puerto Rico for the benefit of Cachete. Big reunion, Giovanni, Richie Flores, Endel Dueno, Anthony Carillo, Nestor Torres, David Valentin, Papo Vazquez, Gua Gua Rivera, Eric Figueroa, Jerry Medina and others were there. You could say I had an insight into it since I was at all the rehearsals and the concert. It was a success in attendance. Cachete was on stage listening to the concert and it was great! The band sounded sharp.

For your info, there is 2 CD produced by Anthony Carillo called "GUAPERIA RUMBERA" that just came out that is a rumba album that has a "pre-second stroke" Cachete with his group Los Majaderos playing. This is a great album...if you could get, then get it because is a masterpiece in rumba albums. Participants include who is who...Giovanni Hidalgo, Rhicie Flores, Cachete Maldonado, Manengue Hildalgo, Paoli Mejias, Endel Dueno, etc. .Is pure rumba

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:18 pm

Gracias por el update Ray. Very sad news re Cachete in a wheelchair. Saddens me deeply.
A man whos recordings and life's work inspired me greatly in my early years and to this day continue to do so.
I love that live recording in Puerto Rico I believe, in the 80's done by Batacumbele where Giovanni is introduced..

"lijerito, por que mas tarde no tenemos tiempo...un pedasito pa que ellos vean el desarollo musical en la decada del 80 en la isla de Puerto Rico, Giovanni, dilo!"

*enter Giovanni ripping it up* :cool:

Or something along those lines, must dig out that recording...

It starts with applause, then a voice.. "Batacumbele... Tambores Bata"... "bara su-ayo omo'oni'alaguana mama kenya irawo e, o bara wayo eke echu odara, omo'oni'alaquana mama kenya irawo e"

Respect. :cool:

Edited By ABAKUA on 1122556999
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:54 am

It saddens me to hear that he's not able to walk or speak. Thanks for the feedback guy's. Hasta la proxima!!
RayBoogie

Postby niche2121 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:02 pm

Don't know about Cachete I saw him sponsoring Timba, but if you like Batacumbele get all there is of Descarga Boricua alot of the players and the singer especially is from the Batacumbele. Justo Betancourt, Endel Dueno and alot of other heavies are on there.
niche2121

Postby Firebrand » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:53 pm

I was just in Puerto Rico (August 12th, 2005) and visited the new Balcon Del Zumbador in Pinones. I talked with "El Nene" (one of the Majaderos, Cachete's group). He tells me Cachete's is now walking with a "walker", but that he still confined to a wheelchair most of the time, and the most he can do is shake maracas with the group.

That second stroke really did him in...i'd be surprised if he recuperates enough to play congas again.
Firebrand

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:21 pm

WELCOME/BIENVENIDO a CongaPlace....you are at the right spot to learn all there ia about the drum and drumming...I also see that you met one of "my Bro's" El Nene, who was also in my Miami Comparsa and we jammed a lot together, he's also homeboy from NYCity....I hope he is well...does he have a phone number??...email me privetly if you do with his #...johnnyconga@hotmail.com...paz..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... a......bmp
JohnnyConga

Postby Firebrand » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:08 pm

I'll see if my dad has his info. I'll get back to you :)
Firebrand

Return to Open Discussion