Female percussionists - Is this forum a 'guy thing'?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby pavloconga » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:53 am

Hey everybody, I might be mistaken, but it seems there aren't many female percussionists on this forum. Where I live there are quite a few women into percussion. Are the women percussionists out there?

cheers and peace
Pavlo

Edited By pavloconga on 1138874010
pavloconga

Postby Ivan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:22 pm

I think there are a few in this forum, but hard to tell with everybody's "cyber name"... :p

I know of a hand ful of female percussionists... Personally, I think it's a great thing! Especially when you see a female smoke the skins! :;):

Welcome PavloConga...

Your drum brother, Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby rumbaman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:40 pm

How is everyone today great i hope . I have played at my music school with some great women players . I think there should be more women players on the congas although it is a drum that beats up your hands . With proper conditioning of your hands and not rushing things it is a beutiful instrument to play . sorry about the spelling . Listen if TATA GUINE can play with long nails why can't women .

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby Bataboom » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:29 pm

My West African percussion class that I teach is 95% females, they do a great job, some of them better then the few males I have :-)
Bataboom

Postby steady freddy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:38 am

Hey Bataboom,

I have the same in my workshop! The girls have on average
a better sound on their djembes. Guys might have a bit more power but the girls are technically better. I notice the same thing with martial arts. The girls have better posture and technique but the guys have more speed and power. Although there are exceptions look at this female djembefola from France click here! Her name is Anne-Yolaine Diarra, "la perle blanche" the white pearl! The group is called Sokan and she is married to one of the guys!
Enjoy!

Happy Drumming always,

Steady Freddy
steady freddy

Postby Bataboom » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:13 pm

wow I had missed this last post, yeah this girl is great! She's got a nice clean style. Thanks for the link freddy.
Bataboom

Return to Open Discussion