YEAH HE PLAYS THE SAME WAY IN THE DRUM SOLOS DVD. A PARTNER OF MINE WHO KNOWS EDDIE ASKED HIM ABOUT THAT AND EDDIE JUST SAID "LOOK MAN I'M GETTING OLD".
Oh Ok ....BTW the young Conga player in the video is Diego Urcola...and is also the lead drummer with "Los Ibeyis".....singing and playing at the same time.....a NEW "Anga" for sure....."JC" Johnny Conga...
Johnny Conga wrote:Oh Ok ....BTW the young Conga player in the video is Diego Urcola...and is also the lead drummer with "Los Ibeyis".....singing and playing at the same time.....a NEW "Anga" for sure....."JC" Johnny Conga...
Sup JC, You mean in that clip Arsenio posted? You sure man? Doesnt look like the brother and the credits on the video name him as: Didiel Acosta from Grupo AGURI-YO.
Could be wrong though? ???
On a side note, Ive PM'd you, have you received them? I believe I may have PM'd to your other account, the one with over 1000 posts, (yes you have 2 accounts!)
Ya know..I've known Gio for a long time now....I can sit and watch him all day...He IS A TRUE INNOVATOR!...and deserves all the props in the world for taking the conga drum to a whole nother level, and he keeps expanding it with the addition of "tabla" playing now also on the conga drum. For a little guy who i personally call "El Torito" the little bull....he has some serious physicality going on,and super relaxed at the same time, and uses the energy when necessary to "excite" your eyes and soul...he motivates..so I'm gonna break out 5 congas and whip it whip it good...it's been awhile for me ...5 congas is a LOT OF WORK!....try it and u will see what I mean....it ain't easy.....QUE VIVA GIOVANNI!!....."JC" Johnny Conga...
Here's a video of a young drummer (about 25 y.o.). I played with him a few times, really smokin', great independence, playing five pedals at one time! He's currently touring in Germany with Benny Grebb, Zoro, etc and doing workshops there!
Here is a link to a Roberto Vizcaino clip going over some marcha moderna. There is a whole series of lessons by him and also with Panga on the related video section at Youtube.
I have to say to sit in front of a Viscaino and to "watch" HIM play is NOT teaching to me....He does not break anything down for the brother...and it seems a lot of these so called "teachers" just sit and show what they can do and not really TEACH.....I haven't seen one Cuban conga player break anything down that they do .....anybody out there can show me just ONE??..just an observation...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga wrote:I haven't seen one Cuban conga player break anything down that they do .....anybody out there can show me just ONE??..just an observation...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JC,
From first hand learning experience, "Changuito" does break down everything he teach on tumbadoras, timbales, drumset, etc.
Movimiento a movimiento, and he doesn't move to the next thing until he is totally sure you go it down.
I did forget about Tomas,tru dat....which is very exstensive, and complete in it's approach...But ya gotta know what I mean right?..I'm just surprised when I see "top flight" musicians who have no real "method' to teach , "just sit and watch me" is their approach....just an observation..."JC" Johnny Conga...